Official Site of

WJ Mouat Hawks Football

‘We gave everything we had’

Abbotsford’s W.J. Mouat Hawks lose Triple-A Subway Bowl 42-35 to Mt. Douglas

By Cam Tucker, Abbotsford Times December 5, 2011 3:59 PM

For the third time in four years, the W.J. Mouat Hawks were forced to watch another varsity football team hoist the championship trophy right in front of them.

Despite carrying a 22-point lead at one point in the second quarter, the Hawks lost the 2011 Subway Bowl by a score of 42-35 to Victoria’s Mt. Douglas Rams in what will no doubt be considered one of the great provincial high school football championships of its time.

Still, for some players, strong feelings of disappointment mixed with resolve hung thick in the air Monday as they tried to come to grips with what transpired not even two days prior.

W.J. Mouat Hawks quarterback Daniel Markin is tackled by Mt. Douglas Rams linebacker Mason Swift during Saturday's Triple-A Subway Bowl game at BC Place Stadium. Photograph by: Rod Wiens, Sports Action Photography, Times

“They were definitely a tough team,” said Grade 12 defensive back Nathan Henczel, who scored a rushing touchdown in the second quarter against the Rams.

“Overall, I’m glad we lost to Mt. Douglas. They were a good team compared to some other teams. I’m definitely upset. I would’ve rather won that game but we had a very good season overall and we gave everything we had.”

The Hawks, on touchdowns from Devin Logan – who scored on a 59-yard run on just the second play of the game from the line of scrimmage – Henczel and Deion Bain, jumped out a 21-0 lead.

They upped that margin to 22 points later in the second quarter with Logan’s second major score of the night, which put the Hawks up 28-6.

But the second half was all Mt. Douglas, specifically Mason Swift, who scored three straight touchdowns for the Rams, including the game winner on a 15-yard screen pass with 6:11 left in the fourth quarter.

The Hawks had one more try to put the ball into the end zone and tie the game late in the fourth quarter, however a mix-up in the backfield inside the Rams’ 10-yard line led to a fumble and turnover, giving Mt. Douglas the ball and a chance to run out the clock.

When it was over, the Hawks, rallied by applause and cheers from a large gathering of supporters, walked back to their sidelines hand-in-hand to show their solidarity.

“We definitely had a lot of motivation this year,” said Henczel, referring to the off-season deaths of long-time team volunteer John ‘Opa’ Smeysters at the age of 74, and teammate Desmond Bassi, in a hit-and-run at the age of 17.

“That brought the whole team together. I’ve never played on a team with such connection. We were a really tight team and it brought a lot of motivation knowing those guys and what they did for the Mouat Hawks.”

Back to Top