Official Site of

WJ Mouat Hawks Football

Victoria’s Rams rally from 22 points down, stun Mouat Hawks in Subway Bowl Triple A final




by Howard Tsunamura, The Province December 3, 2011. 10:40 pm

VANCOUVER — There are simply not enough snaps, not enough pass patterns and not enough first-down markers to shred to satisfy the offensive greed of Victoria’s Mt. Douglas Rams and the W.J. Mouat Hawks of Abbotsford. And that makes for great entertainment.

Mt. Douglas Rams Terrell Davis (left) can't stop WJ Mouat Hawks Deion Bain at the goal line during the first half of the Boys AAA BC High School Football Championship Subway Bowl at BC Place Stadium in Vancouver December 3, 2011.

In early September, the two teams combined to score 100 points in a 53-47 Mouat win that was the highest scoring game of the 2011 B.C. high school football season.

On Saturday, with the pre-game talk centred on defence carrying the day, the two teams met again, this time in the Subway Bowl B.C. Triple A final at B.C. Place Stadium and produced the second-highest scoring Triple A championship final in the 77-year history of the event, with the Rams completing a miracle 29-point turnaround, rallying from a 22-point deficit to win 42-35.

“I am just elated for our kids and it shows the determination they have,” said Rams’ head coach Mark Townsend, whose team not only became Vancouver Island’s first-ever Triple A champs, but the first 3A titlist from outside the Greater Vancouver area since the Kamloops Red Devils won it all in 1990. “They fought and they clawed the whole second half and they never gave up. Now, they will never forget this game for the rest of their lives.”

Mt. Douglas running back Mason Swift, selected the Game MVP, capped a three-touchdown day by catching a 15-yard TD pass from quarterback Jordan Deverill with six minutes remaining, rallyiing the Rams from a previous 28-6 deficit late in the first half to a 42-35 lead. Mouat was driving for the tying score with under four minutes remaining but fumbled inside the red zone.

Swift finished the game 158 combined rushing and receiving yards.

The Rams, who trailed 21-0 and 28-6 before a Hail Mary touchdown catch on the last play of the first half sent them into the locker room down 28-12, kicked their offence into high gear in the third quarter, re-discovering a passing attack they had seemingly put on ice for the duration of the playoffs.

Deverill connected with receiver Taylor Young on a 76-yard scoring strike, and after Mouat running back Devin Logan had answered with a six-yard scoring run of his own, Deverill again led his team down the field, displaying a short-passing game that moved Swift into position for a 13-yard scoring run that had pulled the Rams to within a single score at 35-28 with 4:16 left in the quarter. Swift then came right back with another 13-yard scoring run to tie the score 35-35 heading into the fourth quarter.

“I can’t say enough about Jordan, the composure he had throwing the football and the leadership he showed on the field,” continued Townsend of Deverill, who went 23-of-30 for 362 yards and three scores with no interceptions.

After Logan’s 59-yard touchdown run on Mouat’s second play from scrimmage, you’d be excused for wondering if another 100-point game, like the one from this past Sept. 9, was in the works.

Instead, for most of the half, it was like both head coaches had said earlier in the week, that their respective defences had improved too much over the past three months for any kind of repeat performance.

However as the second quarter wore on, both offences awoke from their slumber, putting up 33 points over a nine-minute span to the halftime break.

Mouat quarterback Daniel Markin’s 29-yard completion to Deion Bain put the Hawks at the Mt. Douglas 13-yard line, and a couple of plays later, Markin threw a short hitch to Bain who swerved and spun, breaking three tackles on his way to the end zone for a 14-0 lead.

Mouat elected to on-side kick following that score, and the ensuing boot ricocheted off a Mt. Douglas player, and was covered up by Mouat’s Taylor Hinton at the Rams’ 43-yard line. After Markin’s 33-yard completion to Bain put the ball at the nine-yard line, Nathan Henczel scored off a reverse for a 21-0 lead.

Before things got out of hand, Triple A Player of the Year Terrell Davis answered with a 14-yard scoring run, pulling the Rams to 21-6 after Mouat’s Jake Heathcote blocked the extra point.

With 1:57 left, Markin stood in against a pass-rushing Mitch Ottosen, and took a big lick, but not before delivering a 23-yard touchdwon strike to Logan and a 28-6 lead.

Not to be outdone, however, Deverill’s Hail Mary pass with no ticks left on the halftime clock, was batted by a Mouat player at the back of the end zone, yet scooped up by a falling Brian Dowds, pulling Mt. Douglas to within 28-12.

“They wore us out a little bit and discovered a few seems in our pass defence,” said Mouat head coach Denis Kelly, “and then they have the athletes like Terrell who can break so many tackles. Once they started rolling with Terrell and Deverill and Swift running the ball, they were a pretty awesome machine.”

Davis rushed for 83 yards, and added 80 more yards in receptions for the winners.

For Mouat, Devin Logan carried 18 times for 155 yards, Markin was 7-of-14 for 175 yards, and Bain caught six passes for 98 yards. Jake Heathcote, the middle linebacker picked the Defensive Player of the Game, finished with 17 tackles for the Hawks.

The Rams had never before appeared in a Triple A final but had won the B.C. Double A title in 2009. The Hawks, who last won the title in 2005, were appearing in the championship game for the third time in the past four seasons.

In its Sept. 9 contest at Victora, Deverill threw five touchdown passes, including three to Young, while Logan rushed for four touchdowns for Mouat.

Mouat beat Vancouver College in 52-27 in the 2002 final that produced 79 points. Last season, John Barsby won the Double A title when it beat Handsworth 53-27 (80 points).

Back to Top