Official Site of

WJ Mouat Hawks Football

W.J. Mouat Hawks hunt down Eagles in Subway Bowl quarter-final

Hawks and Carson Graham do battle in a snow-covered quarter finals playoff. Photo: T. Plett

November 21st, 2010 by Cam Tucker,

Cam Bedore didn’t seem phased by anything Saturday night.

The W.J. Mouat Hawks quarterback could’ve been thrown off his game by a snow-covered UBC Thunderbird Stadium. He could’ve shown rust after two weeks off since a 36-6 loss to No. 1 ranked Terry Fox.

Bedore was spectacular Saturday as the Hawks advanced to a Subway Bowl semifinal against the Vancouver College Fighting Irish next weekend thanks to a 39-12 victory over the Carson Graham Eagles.

“We knew we had to come in after last week’s performance and show we’re in the running,” said Bedore, who remained on the bench in the fourth quarter with the game well in hand.

“You kind of look at the weather as just a little bit of an obstacle, it’s not that big a deal.”

He’ll need to continue to play this way if the Hawks are to get back to the B.C. Triple-A championship contest for a third consecutive year.

His night included a plethora of offensive strikes both on the ground and through the air. He found his big targets, John Watson and Braden Churly with terrific poise.

Bedore notched three rushing touchdowns in the Hawks quarter-final win. He also threw for two passing majors as well, including an absolute picture perfect airmail delivery to Watson, arguably one of his best targets despite low numbers in the regular season.

It was, in essence, a perfectly executed 39-yard strike to Watson. Perfect protection from the offensive line, a great burst of speed by the intended receiver, Watson, and a deadly accurate throw from Bedore – Dan Marino couldn’t have done it better.

“We’ve been training really hard all year, working on our passing game a lot,” said the quarterback.

“We really take pride in our passing game, and the chemistry is really starting to get together now in the post-season.”

Bedore also hooked up with little-known Deion Bain for the first of his two majors through the air Saturday.

For Bain, it was not only his first touchdown of the year, it was his first catch all season. He was also responsible for the interception that gave the Hawks the ball inside the Eagles 20-yard line, setting up the major a few plays later.

A lot of the credit, said Bedore, has to go to the offensive line in front of him.

“There’s so much to say about the [offensive] line,” he said. “You can’t do anything without those guys. They’ve been working hard all year, just like the rest of us and they really came together tonight and they really blocked well.”

Luke Friesen, who injured his ankle against Centennial in October and is just now back to full health, also had one of his best games this season. The Grade 12 fullback was a force to be reckoned with every time he was handed the ball.

He rumbled his way 31 yards for pay dirt in the second quarter, and added onto that with an explosive 41-yard run that got the Hawks into scoring position where, again, Bedore went to work.

“He had a great game,” said Hawks head coach Denis Kelly of Friesen, who racked up several more yards through the air as well.

“Luke gives us a presence. He’s a big, strong kid that we really haven’t had that kind of inside back before.”

Back to Top